1. Technology
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum




Ascender; © J. Bear | Typography Terms | Alpha Index to Full Dictionary:

# | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | XYZ


In typography, the upward vertical stem on some lowercase letters, such as h and b, that extends above the x-height is the ascender. The height of the ascenders is an identifying characteristic of many typefaces.

The ascenders of some letters may touch or almost touch letters in the line above causing awkward or distracting patterns. This is most likely to happen or be obvious when a line of text with tall ascenders is below a line of text with long descenders. To resolve the problem of touching ascenders and descenders you can:

  • Increase the leading between lines of type
  • Choose a different typeface
  • For headlines and subheads, some careful editing/re-wording can eliminate the problem
  • Changing the alignment of the text may also help


Also Known As: extender

Common Misspellings: asenders | acenders | ascendars

Type Anatomy Terms Related to Ascender

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.