Silver, especially a shiny, metallic silver, is cool like gray but livelier, more playful. Silver can be sleek and modern or impart a feeling of ornate riches.
Nature and Culture of Silver:
Silver is a precious metal and other metals are often described as silver in color. Silver doesn't have the warmth of gold. It's a cool metal.
Silver often symbolizes riches, just as gold does. Silver can be glamorous and distinguished. While gray-haired men and women are seen as old, silver-haired denotes a graceful aging. Silver is the traditional Twenty-Fifth Wedding Anniversary gift.
Awareness ribbons that use silver include:
- The Silver Ribbon Campaign For The Brain - Brain Disorders and Disabilities
- Elderly Abuse
Other Awareness Ribbon Colors.
The color silver can be earthy, natural or sleek and elegant. It can be used much as gray is although when using shiny metallic inks, only small amounts for accents is best. Try silver foil embossing to make logos and other design elements stand out.
Using Silver with Other Colors:
Silver coupled with turquoise evokes the Southwest (U.S.). A touch of silver pops with medium blue. Use silver with other colors to create a high-tech or industrial look.
These color palettes feature shades of gray and silver.
Language of Silver:
The use of silver in familiar phrases can help a designer see how their color of choice might be perceived by others, both the positive and negative aspects.
- Silver screen - movies, especially classic movies
- Silver-tongued - witty, eloquent speaker
- Pieces of silver - money, especially coins
- Silver-tongued devil - articulate speaker perceived to be insincere, possibly a liar
- Born with a silver spoon in one's mouth - usually used as a putdown against someone born into a wealthy family who never had to work for a living
Silver Words: These words are synonymous with silver or represent various shades of the color silver.
Gun metal, gray, metallic grey.
What's Your Favorite Color?
Red | Green | Gold | Turquoise | Blue | Purple | Pink | Black | Orange | Yellow
View Results for Your Favorite Color Poll