Considered the negation of color, black is conservative, goes well with almost any color except the very dark. It also has conflicting connotations. It can be serious and conventional. The color black can also be mysterious, sexy, and sophisticated.
What Colors Are Black? These words are synonymous with or represent various shades of the color black: coal, charcoal, ebony, ink, jet, lampblack, midnight, obsidian, onyx, raven, sable, soot.
Nature and Culture:
In most Western countries black is the color of mourning. Among young people, black is often seen as a color of rebellion. Black is both positive and negative. It is the color for little boys in China. Black, especially combined with orange is the color of Halloween. In early Westerns the good guy wore white while the bad guy wore black. But later on good guys wore black to lend an air of mystery to themselves.
In printing, black is not a single color. It can be a combination of pure black ink with a few other inks included to change the appearance of the black. Discover black ink formulas and tips for designing using warm, neutral, and cool blacks.
With Other Colors:
In Other Design Fields:
- Black tie - formal (as in formal party attire)
- Black belt - expert (especially in martial arts)
- Blackwash - bring things out in the open In the black - having money, doing well in business
- Men in black - government agents
- Black box - equipment or apparatus
- Pitch black - dark as night, very black
- Black out - Loss of consciouness or the act of erasing something
- Blackout - loss of electricity or turning out the lights
- Black eye - damage such as damage to one's reputation, slander, unpopular
- Black-hearted - evil
- Blackguard - a scoundrel
- Black sheep - an outcast from a family or from society
- Black market - illegal trade (goods or money)
- Blackmail - obtaining something by threat
- Blacklist - list of people or organizations to boycott, avoid, or punish
Is Black Your Favorite Color?
See how many others share the same color favorites.
- Yes, I'm seriously into the mysteries of the color black
- No, my favorite color is Green | Gold | Turquoise | Blue | Purple | Pink | Red | Orange | Yellow
View Results for Your Favorite Color Poll
More Color Meanings