Careers in Desktop Publishing
- Business Templates
- Software for Professional and Business Use
- Pick Another Path to Explore
Training and Education
Discover the educational requirements for working in the field of desktop publishing and graphic design. Obtain formal or informal desktop publishing training, join professional associations or online communities, read magazines and newsletters on design and publishing topics, explore the teaching and use of desktop publishing in the K12 classroom.
- Why Everyone Needs to Know Desktop Publishing
- Do I Need a Degree or Special Training to Do Desktop Publishing?
- Do I Need to Know Graphic Design to Do Desktop Publishing?
- 5 Ways to Get Desktop Publishing Training
- Desktop Publishing Certification Training
- Add Web Design to Your Resume
- Add Writing to Your Resume
- 4 Reasons to Improve Your Handwriting
- Why We Don't Need Desktop Publishing
Are you a teacher? Find ways to use desktop publishing in the classroom or find resources for teaching desktop publishing.
- Lesson Plans Utilizing Desktop Publishing
- Handwriting Fonts for Teachers
- How To Choose a Desktop Publishing or Software Book
Start a freelance graphic design business doing graphic design and desktop publishing or Web design. Be your own boss. Create a business plan, learn how to run your own small business, set prices, do marketing, and find clients.
- Freelance Design Myths
- Choose a Design Business Name
- Learn the Basics of a Business Plan for a Design Business
- Create a Working Business Plan for a Design Business
- Pros and Cons of Different Business Structures
- Teamwork: Working with Subcontractors, Writers, and Others
- Cold Calling for Freelance Designers
- Contracts: How to Write a Contract for a Design Business
- Contracts: Why Even Small Jobs Need One
- Contacts: Why Even Family and Friends Need to Sign One
- 8 Tried and True Ways to Find New Clients
- Tips on Writing Effective Press Releases for Desktop Publishing
- How to Start a Freelance Desktop Publishing Business
- Work at Home
- Money Matters: Create an Accounting Plan
- Money Matters: Getting Paid
- Money Matters: How to Not Get Paid
- Money Matters: How Set Hourly and Flat Fees
In-House Design & Publishing
Desktop Publishing is one the ten fastest growing occupations in the United States. Desktop publishing and graphic design jobs are found primarily in the printing and publishing industries although some work "in-house" at various firms, government agencies, and educational institutions.
Find desktop publishing and graphic design jobs. Explore salaries, education, and economic outlook for desktop publishing-related employment and careers in Web Design.
- Specialties for Desktop Publishing and Graphic Design Jobs
- How Much Money Desktop Publishers Make
- How to Get a Design Internship or Entry Level Job
Desktop publishing or graphic design portfolios should be more than just a few samples thrown into a folder. Potential employers or clients use examples of your work to help determine whether they want to hire you. The samples you choose for graphic design portfolios and how you present them can affect whether or not you get the job. Learn how to prepare a portfolio, what goes in it, how to develop one when you are a new designer, how to choose a case, and how to use graphic design portfolios to get a job or land a client.
Whether you have your own desktop publishing business or your a small business owner doing your own desktop publishing, get help with the design of common business documents. Download, customize, and print templates for business cards, letterhead, forms, and presentations.
- Business Card Templates With Artwork / Designs
- Business Card Templates - Blank
- Calendar Templates for Business
- Microsoft Word Templates for Business Documents
- Microsoft PowerPoint Templates for Business Presentations
Software for Professional and Business Use
Freelance and in-house designers need to professional tools. Small or home-based businesses can often use specialty programs for specific types of business documents.
- Top Windows Professional Desktop Publishing Software
- Top Mac Professional Desktop Publishing Software
- Windows Business Card Software
- Mac Business Card Software
Many non-designers use desktop publishing to publish their own books and newsletters. Look here for tips, guidelines, templates, and checklists for self-publishing newsletters, booklets, books, and more.
- Role of Desktop Publishing in Self-Publishing
- Self-Publishing Subscription Newsletters
- Self-Publishing Booklets
- Self-Publishing Books
- Self-Publishing Greeting Cards
Pick Another Path to Explore
If you want a career in desktop publishing you need in-depth knowledge of the software, the vocabulary, and all the tasks and techniques involved in graphic design, page layout, typography, prepress, and printing.