PDF files are great for exchanging formatted files across platforms and between folks who don't use the same software. But sometimes we need to be able to take images or text out of a PDF file and use it in Web pages, word processing documents, PowerPoint presentations, or in desktop publishing software. Choose the option that works best for you.
Depending on your needs and the security options set in the individual PDF there are several ways to extract text, images, or both from a PDF file.
- Use Adobe Acrobat to Extract PDF Content
If you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat, not just the free Acrobat Reader, you can extract individual images or all images as well as text from a PDF and export in various formats such as EPS, JPG, TIFF.
The following tutorials are offsite links
- Video: Extracting Images and Text from a PDF | About.com
- How to Extract Text From PDF Using Acrobat | howtechoffice | YouTube
- Extract Text from a PDF Dcument for Acrobat 4 or higher | Penn State
- Extract Graphics From a PDF Document for Acrobat 4 and 5 | Penn State
- Extract Graphics From a PDF Document for Acrobat 6 | Penn State
- Extract Images From a PDF (with Acrobat X) | Caveat Lector | Adobe blogs (read through the comments too for additional info)
- Copy and Paste From PDF Using Acrobat Reader
You can simply copy a portion of a PDF file to the clipboard and paste it into another program. Graphics Software Guide Sue Chastain explains step-by-step how to copy images or text from a PDF file.
- Open a PDF File in a Graphics Program
When image extraction is your goal, you can open a PDF in some illustration programs such as newer versions of CorelDRAW or Adobe Illustrator and save the images for editing and use in desktop publishing applications.
- Use Third-Party PDF Extraction Software Tools
Several standalone utilities and plug-ins are available that will convert PDF files to HTML while preserving the page layout, extract and convert PDF content to vector graphics formats and extract PDF content for use in word processing, presentation, and desktop publishing software. These tools offer varying options including batch extraction/conversion, whole file or partial content extraction, and multiple file format support.These are primarily commercial and shareware Windows-based utilities.
PDF Extraction Software for Text and Images
- Use Online PDF Extraction Tools
With these extraction tools you don't have to download or install software. How much each one can extract will vary. A few:
- ExtraPDF | Upload a file up to 10MB in size or supply an URL to the PDF
- PDF Image Extraction | Upload a PDF from your computer and tool takes out all images at original resolution and places them in a ZIP file for download
- PDF Extract Tool | Upload a PDF and choose to extract text, images, bookmarks, or annotations