Unless otherwise noted, these tutorials go to sites outside of About.com.
1. Ads and Direct Mail
- Perfectly Cropped Mailer
Designing a direct mail piece with custom crops and folds and a coupon. It's a 6:50 minute video tutorial at Layers Magazine by Jeff Witchel.
- How to Create a Coupon in InDesign CS4
Beginner level tutorial with 32 steps at vector tuts+ by Simona Pfreundner.
- Design a Print-ready Ad
45-step tutorial by Jonathan at vector tuts+.
2. Brochures, Leaflets, Pamphlets
- How to Make a Print Ready A5 Leaflet in InDesign CS5
Beginner level tutorial for creating a 4 page leaflet or brochure uses some of the type setting features that were new in CS5. 22 steps. From James Andrew at vector tuts+.
- Create and Print a Brochure with Photoshop, InDesign, and UPrinting.com
Part 1: (14 steps)
Part 2: (9 steps)
From Collis at psd tuts+ / vector tuts+, artwork is created in Photoshop then placed into InDesign for further work.
- Pamphlet Project
Ues InDesign to create a 3-fold pamphlet. From Shield Yearbook.
3. Business Cards and Letterhead
- How to Create a Business Card Using InDesign
A very basic introduction video from About.com.
- Designing a Business Card in InDesign
7:24 minute Video tutorial by Christy Winter at Layers Magazine.
- Designing a Business Card
Download the WL-OL244 template and use it to create a business card, bring it into an 8-up template. From Worldlabel.com
- Design a Print Ready Business Card for Designers
Lengthy, detailed, illustrated tutorial from Chris Spooner.
- How to Design a Business Card in InDesign
By Wehtam at Creative Fail, download the artwork for this tutorial.
- Design Business Cards in Adobe InDesign
GreatFX provides a template and illustrated instructions for basic business card creation.
- Designing a Basic Letterhead With InDesign CS5
Beginner level 10-step tutorial by James Andrew at vector tuts+.
- How to Design a Print Ready Letterhead & Comp Slip
From Chris Spooner, uses mostly Illustrator but uses InDesign for output.
- Letterhead Project
"Learn InDesign by designing stationery for your business." A tutorial from Shield Yearbook.
4. Digital Publications
- How to Create a Digital Publication Using InDesign
From About.com, an introductory video by Herman Mak.
- Using InDesign CS5 to Publish Your iPad Magazine
Terry White at Layers Magazine uses CS5 and the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite.
- Create an Interactive Magazine for the iPad
This DigitalArts tutorial uses CS5 or later, Photoshop, and the Mag+ plug-in.
- Take a Design From Print to iPad
This DigitalArts tutorial uses CS5.5 and Adobe Digital Publishing Suite to take a printed magazine and make a digital version for the iPad.
- Creating iBooks (EPUB) With InDesign CS5
Uses InDesign CS5 to design book, exports in EPUB format, and tests it in Adobe Digital Editions player. From Layers Magazine and Terry White.
- How to Create an Invitation Using InDesign
An About.com basics video tutorial for those new to InDesign.
- Design a Halloween Invitation With InDesign CS5
A vector tuts+ Beginner tutorial by James Andrew.
- Invitation Design
Part 1: (9:14 min)
Part 2: (9:11 min)
Layers Magazine video tutorials with Christy Winter. Creates a Baby Shower/Party Invitation. Downloadable files available.
6. Magazines, Newsletters, Newspapers
- Magazine Design With InDesign
At Layers Magazine, this basic 3 part tutorial by Chad Neuman includes master pages, auto page numbers, shapes, text import from a Word file, text wrap, and other features. Uses Illustrator for some steps. Downloadable files provided.
- How to Create a Professional Magazine Layout
A vector tuts+ Intermediate level tutorial for CS4/CS5 from Otto Coster.
- Design a Multi-Page Mag Feature
Jo Gilliver of Computer Arts demonstrates how to set up a complex including grid setup, creating a template, and adding finishing touches. Downloadable support files. The tutorial is a PDF dowload as well.
- Create a Newsprint Magazine
Download the PDF tutorial from Computer Arts which includes tips on designing a "complex, versatile grid system" and how to work with black and white images and cheap paper but get great results.
- Magazine Cover Design in InDesign CS3
13-step tutorial by Terry White at Layers Magazine includes techniques for making a cover that stands out on the magazine rack.
- Create a Five-Color Magazine Cover Using a Spot Metallic
An Intermediate/Advanced level tutorial by Mark Mayers at psd tuts+ that uses InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat Pro. It's two parts all on one (very long) page.
- How to Create a Music Magazine Cover in InDesign
From vector tuts+ and Simona Pfreundner, this is an introductory or beginner level tutorial.
- Create a Hip Magazine Cover in Adobe InDesign
From SpryeStudios, a 14 step tutorial.
- Newsletter Project
This Shield Yearbook tutorial uses columns for a simple, single page newsletter. A Basic introduction to using InDesign.
- Create a Newsprint Publication
From Computer Arts, topics covered include grids, consistency, and use of two color printing. For InDesign and Photoshop CS3 or later.
8. Photo Albums, Photobooks, Yearbooks
- How to Create a Photo Album Using InDesign
An About.com basics video tutorial by Herman Mak that shows the basics of setting up a 12" x 12" album and saving it as a PDF.
- Create Photo Albums for Print
14-step tutorial from Terry White at Layers Magazine.
- Designing a Photobook in Adobe InDesign CS4
A Layers Magazine 11:49 minute Video tutorial by A.J. Wood.
- Yearbook Project
Create a photo-heavy spread for a yearbook using Adobe InDesign. Tutorial from Shield Yearbook.
- Creating an Interactive Portfolio With InDesign CS3
14 step tutorial by Mike Mchugh at Layers Magazine.
- Create a Quick One-Page Portfolio in InDesign CS4
24-step Beginner tutorial by Simona Pfreundner at vector tuts+.
- Creating an Interactive Portfolio With InDesign CS5
14 step tutorial by Terry White at Layers Magazine.
- Create a Striking Exhibition Poster
From Luke O'Neill at Computer Arts, uses InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop to create a logotype, create an Illustrator pattern, and work with a grid and type.
- Designing an Event Poster
An 8:47 minute video tutorial by Christy Winter at Layers Magazine uses "Object Styles to add intensity to the headline."
- Use Glyphs to Create a Striking Typographic Poster in InDesign
This Computer Arts tutorial by Jo Gulliver is for InDesign CS3 or later.
- Design a Cool Outlaw Flyer With InDesign
The images are not loading for this tutorial but the text instructions may be useful. It's by Danny Outlaw.
11. Resumé or CV
- Using InDesign CS4 to Create a Designer Resumé
Lengthy, 32-step Intermediate level tutorial from Simona Pfreudner at vector tuts+.
- Create a Grid Based Resumé/CV Layout in InDesign
From Chris Spooner, detailed, illustrated tutorial.
- How to Create a Modern CV/Resumé With InDesign
SpryeStudios provides a download of the InDesign files used in this tutorial.
12. Other Miscellaneous Projects
- InDesign CS3, In Good Form
Right way to build a form. Tutorial by Terry White at Layers Magazine.
- Book Cover Design in InDesign CS5
9:08 minute video tutorial by Jeff Witchel at Layers Magazine makes use of the CS5 feature allowing multiple size pages in a single document.
- Create Numbered Tickets the Easy Way in InDesign
Simona Pfreundner uses InDesign and the Data Merge Tool in this tutorial at vector tuts+.
- Designing a Basic Compliment Slip With InDesign CS5
Beginner level 11-step tutorial by James Andrew at vector tuts+.
- Create a Pocket Folder Template in CS5
From Keith Gilbert at InDesignSecrets.com, the basic steps to create a pocket folder layout.