A basic corporate identity system or stationery package consists of letterhead, envelopes, and business cards. In some cases, labels are also a basic component. If no logo exists and one is needed, logo design may also comprise part of the complete design package.
Whether designing for a client or for yourself, the first steps to developing a successful identity package is getting to know the business for which the package is intended.
- What kind of business is it?
- What type of products or services does it produce?
- How long have they been in business?
- Who are their major competitors?
- Who needs the product or service the business produces?
- How do current or potential customers preceive the business or the industry in general?
- Does the business want to attract or focus on a specific segment of its overall customer base?
About the business and its clients:
- If the business already has a stationery package in use, what do they like/dislike about the current package?
- How will the letterhead by used? (That is, will it be run through laser printers, inkjet printers, be handwritten, frequently photocopied or faxed?)
- What kind of budget does the business have and what type of volume is required?
- Will color be used? (And how much color will the budget allow?)
- Does the client have a preference for or against thermography, single, bi-fold, or tri-fold business cards, or other definite likes/dislikes?
About the stationery package:
The next steps in the design process involve determining exactly what information is needed on the letterhead and business cards and developing specific design ideas.
|Pick Your Path to Desktop Publishing|
|Get Started:||Basic Guidelines and Requirements for Desktop Publishing|
|Choose Software:||Desktop Publishing and Design Software|
|Tips & Tutorials:||How to Do Desktop Publishing|
|Training, Education, Jobs:||Careers in Desktop Publishing|
|In the Classroom:||Back to School With Desktop Publishing|
|Make Something:||Things to Make Using Desktop Publishing|
|Use Templates:||Templates for Print and Web Publishing|