1. Technology
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum


Not a boxing term


Trapping example

What looks like two overlapping circles prints as a circle and a crescent. | Graphics Dictionary | Alpha Index to Full Dictionary:

# | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | XYZ


A knockout is a portion of an image that has been removed. When two colors overlap, they don't normally print on top of each other. The bottom color is knocked out of - not printed - in the area where the other color overlaps. If the overlapping colors were printed you could potentially have a portion of the image over-saturated with ink and it could also affect the color of the image.

Knockout type is typically text that is knocked out or reversed out of a dark background so that the type appears in the color of the paper.

Terms Related to Knockout

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.