What Are Pastel ColorsIn art, pastels are a specific type of medium, usually in stick form. They are colors with low saturation but not necessarily the light, delicate colors we think of as pastel colors. In general use, pastel refers to any low saturation, light, or subdued color. The most common pastels are light shades of blue, pink, green, yellow, and lavender (light purple). Also, light orange or coral colors and light shades of turquoise are pastel Easter colors.
What is the Symbolism of Pastel Easter ColorsPastel colors are considered Springtime colors. They symbolize rebirth, new growth, and new beginnings.
- Yellow is joy, happiness. Yellow is the sun shining on a clear, Spring day.
Lemon | Hex #FFF700 | RGB 255,247,0
Light Yellow | Hex #FFFFE0 | RGB 255,255,224
- Green represents hope, birth, renewal. It is grass and leaves turning green again, new plants emerging.
Spring Green | Hex #00FF7F | RGB 0,255,127
Mint | Hex #BDFCC9 | RGB 189,252,201
- Pink is a fresh beginning, a healthy new start, and playfulness.
Pink | Hex #FFC0CB | RGB 255,192,203
- Orange represents the dawn of a new day, a new season.
Light Salmon | Hex #FFA07A | RGB 255,160,122
- Light Purples like Lavender suggest something special.
- Blue is the color of the sky and of water. It suggests peace and harmony. It's a clear blue sky and the rain that brings forth the new Spring growth.
Sky Blue | Hex #87CEEB | RGB 135,206,235
[explore more light shades of blue]
Robin Egg Blue | Hex #00CCCC | RGB 0,204,204
Turquoise | Hex #40E0D0 | RGB 64,224,208
The colors described here are typical pastel Easter colors. Use these colors or colors like them to suggest Easter and Springtime. When using light colors like these, it's good to mix in a darker, brighter, or more saturated color here and there to provide contrast and to avoid looking washed-out.
Pastel Color PalettesHere are a selection of pastel palettes I've picked out from the huge selection over at COLOURlovers.com. These are from a search on the term "Easter" with this small group full of pastel or pale colors. Browse the full selection for some brighter purples, chocolate bunny colors, and candy colored palettes.
- Appropriately named, Easter Colors are very traditional pastel shades of blue, green, yellow, pink and light purple.
- Pastel Easter Eggs has a lighter blue and green and the pinker (or redder) light purple.
- For something a touch brighter Happy Easter replaces blue and yellow with tangerine and two shades of green, one very pale.
- For a palette of easter blues and greens with a light yellow try Easter Egg Hunt.