Cobalt is a silvery, bluish-gray metal ore. But when cobalt salts and aluminum oxide are mixed you get a beautiful shade of blue.
The color cobalt or cobalt blue is a medium blue, lighter than navy but bluer than the lighter sky blue colors (a strong azure). In pottery, porcelain, tiles, and glass-making the cobalt color comes from the addition of cobalt salts. With the addition of varying amounts of other metals or minerals cobalt can be more magenta or more purple.
- Cobalt | Hex #0047AB | RGB 0,71,171 | CMYK 100,58,0,33
- Cobalt (Web color) | Hex #3D59AB | RGB 61,89,171
- Cobalt | Hex #6666FF | RGB 102,102,255
- Cobalt is a cool color.
- Cobalt blue color is soothing, peaceful, and can also suggest richness. Like azure, nature, stability, calmness are some of its qualities.
While we generally think of cobalt as blue, there are other cobalt color pigments (found in oil and watercolor paints, for example) which incorporate more greens or reds, such as:
- Cobalt Yellow
- Cobalt Turquoise
- Cobalt Violet (RGB: 145,33,158 cobalt violet deep)
- Cobalt Green (RGB: 61,145,64)