There are many reasons to choose DIY invitations over store-bought versions, including cost and personalization. You can save money by designing your own invites. You can create a more personalized invitation that expresses who you are, fits a specific party theme, or incorporates personal elements such as photos. Use these tips and resources to combine paper, computer, crafts, and more for diy invitations for parties or do it yourself wedding invitations. You can also turn store-bought cards or colorful card stock into first class invitations. Get ready to party!
Parts of an Invitation
Greeting cards and invitations have basically the same parts. Of course you can make an invitation any way you like. But become familiar with the basic aspects of invites first.
Make sure your invitation contains the vital statistics:
- Who: Tell them who is throwing the party, hosting the event, or who is getting married.
- What: Is it a wedding, a reception, a costume party, a potluck dinner, a sleepover, a fund-raising event, or something else? Describe the event.
- Where: Give an address. Supply a map. See: Giving Guests Good Driving Directions from About.com Entertaining.
- When: Don't forget the date(s)!
- Why: This might be implicit in the What but for some events you might want to include more details for some events such as a mini-bio of the guests of honor or the history of the organization if it's a fund-raising event.
- How: Tell guests how to contact you. Give a phone number or email address. Ask for an RSVP. If children or other guests are allowed (or discouraged) this would be information to include.
DIY Invitation Wording
Even if we know we need to include certain information in an invitation, sometimes it's difficult to decide how best to put it all together. Use these wording ideas and suggestions.
- Invitation Wording for Special Events from About.com Event Planning.
- How to Write and Choose Baby Shower Invitations from About.com Event Planning.
- Wedding Invitation Wording from About.com Weddings.
- Sample Invitation Wording for Non-Traditional Wedding from About.com Weddings.
- Wedding RSVPs The Etiquette of Response Cards, and Response Card Wording from About.com Wedding.
Software for Invitations
You can make your invitations completely by hand; however, using a computer and software can be faster, allow for more uniform cards, and you don't need a lot of craft supplies. These software programs feature ready-made templates, design wizards, clip art, fonts, or other extras to make it easy to design and print your own cards, announcements, or DIY invitations. Some do other print projects as well such as labels or fliers or scrapbooks while others are devoted primarily just to greeting cards and invitations. They generally don't cost a lot of money and there's even a free option on each list.
Templates for Invitations and Envelopes
You don't necessarily need special software for DIY invitations. If you have Microsoft Word or some desktop publishing software or even graphics software it works just as well. Those programs may have some templates for invitations, but chances are the selection is limited. Browse these template collections to find a suitable design that you can use as-is or modify to suit your needs. And don't forget the envelopes!
DIY Invitation Letter
Don't fret over finding the right clip art or the perfect card template. Use pre-designed holiday papers. Choose colors appropriate to the season or theme and a nice, readable font. Put your time and effort into writing a nice invitation letter and having a fun party. Bonus: You can purchase a box of standard letter size envelopes for these invites. Dress up the envelope with stickers or rubber stamps.
For some formal events a letter is better than a card as the invite. Learn How To Approach Writing Formal Invitation Letters and Materials for Meetings from About.com Event Planning,
DIY Birthday Party Invitations
- Birthday Party Invitations features ideas from collages to free printables to services for custom invites at About.com School-Age Children.
- Free, Printable Birthday Party Invitations at About.com Family Crafts offers printable invites featuring balloons, birthday cake, flowers, and more.
- Make Invitations for Children's Parties includes templates from About.com Rubber Stamping.
- Birthday Card and Invitation Gallery has photos of home-made cards for ideas and inspiration from About.com Family Crafts.
DIY Wedding Invitations
Here comes the bride full of pride in the beautiful wedding invites crafted with care by following these tips and tricks. "I do" believe you'll find elegant fonts, templates, and tutorials for creating wedding and anniversary announcements and related bridal and wedding materials with computer software and printing.
- Wedding Invitations and Anniversary Projects at About.com Desktop Publishing.
- Best Fonts for Wedding Invitations at About.com Desktop Publishing
- Wedding Invitations, Wedding Programs, and Wedding Stationery at About.com Weddings.
- Rubber Stamped Wedding Invitations from About.com Rubber Stamping.
DIY New Year's & Super Bowl Party Invitations
Ring in the New Year with a classy party invitation for December 31st or invite your football loving friends over for a casual Super Bowl get together in January.
- New Year's Clip Art from About.com Clip Art includes party hats, champagne glasses, clocks, balloons, and more.
- Top New Year's Eve Party Supplies include some "swanky party invitations from Tiny Prints" along with noisemakers, top hats, and champagne flutes.
- Super Bowl Sunday clip art of, well, footballs.
- Free, Online Invitations to Your Super Bowl Party is a list compiled at About.com Entertaining.
DIY Thanksgiving & Christmas Party Invitations
Invite friends and family to your house for a cornucopia of good times and good food or a visit with Santa. An easy Christmas party DIY invitation idea: Purchase inexpensive printed Christmas cards or print up one of the printable templates at the links, below, that are blank on the inside. Choose a nice, readable font and print up your party invitation details on plain white or colored card stock (perhaps matched to your card) cut to fit inside your greeting card.
- Thanksgiving Cards and Invitations features free printables from About.com Family Crafts.
- Harvest Party Invitations are printable templates for Thanksgiving or any fall party from About.com Teens.
- Christmas Party Invitations and Christmas Greeting Cards includes printables and ideas compiled at About.com School-Age Children.
- Christmas Project Ideas, Templates, and Clip Art from About.com Desktop Publishing has what you need for a do-it-yourself Christmas.
DIY Halloween Party Invitations
Invite guests into your web for a howling good time at Halloween.
- Halloween Invitations to Make or Print compiled at About.com School-Age Children.
- Printable Halloween Party Invitations come from About.com Teens.
- Make Your Own Halloween Craft Projects from About.com Desktop Publishing has free clip art, fonts, and DIY invitation ideas for kid or adult parties.
- Making Party Invitations in Adobe Illustrator features a Halloween theme from Sara Froehlich for About.com Graphics Software.
- Make Halloween Invitations With Rubber Stamps includes templates and project ideas from About.com Rubber Stamping.
DIY Invitations for Other Occasions
Get tips and ideas for creating DIY invitations for all of life's special occasions.
- Suprise Party Invitations... with Confetti
- Mad Scientist Party Invitations and Decorations
- A Housewarming Party
- Bridal Shower and Engagement Party Invites
- Baby Shower Invitations
- Free, Printable Graduation Invitations
- Valentines: How to Make a Hugging Heart Party Invitation
- July 4th Invitations for an Independence Day Bash
- 4th of July Project Ideas, Templates, Clip Art, and Fonts