Check the box or label carefully to be sure you are getting inkjet transfer paper for your inkjet printer or laser transfer paper for your laser printer.
Special Purpose Transfer PaperMost transfer papers are for white or light-colored fabrics. However, iron on transfer papers also come in a version specifically for dark colored t-shirts. If you are creating a design for a black or dark blue t-shirt, be sure to get transfer paper for dark t-shirt transfers. There are also stretchable fabric transfer sheets that work in inkjet printers.
While a lot of transfer papers need to be peeled off soon after ironing, transfers with cool-peel backing papers are specifically created to be peeled off after the transfer cools. No scorched fingertips!
Iron on transfers sit on top of the fabric, adhered to it by heat. They can leave a bit of a plastic-like feel where the transfer is on the t-shirt (or other fabric). When you use iron on transfer paper it's not absolutely necessary to trim the excess paper around your design, however you'll end up with a large unprinted plastic-like section on your t-shirt that can look and feel a little odd. So, for best appearance, trim close to the design before applying the paper to fabric.
Shop for Iron-on Transfer Paper
- Avery Personal Creations Light T-Shirt Transfers comes in a pack of 18 sheets for use in your inkjet printer, applied to light-colored cotton fabrics.
- HP Iron-On Transfers for Color Fabric come in 6 8.5"x11" sheets, for your inkjet printer (except Deskjet 1200 and Desktjet 1600), and for use on dark or brightly colored cotton and cotton-poly blends.
- Epson Iron-On Cool Peel Transfer Paper comes in packs of 10 letter-size sheets for inkjet printers. Or, get a 50 Sheet pack.
- Xerox T-Shirt/Fabric A-Size Transfers are for use in Xerox Phaser 740 and Phaser 560 printers.
- Avery Stretchable Fabric Transfers come in packs of 5 sheets. For inkjet printers, these transfers give a different look and feel than traditional paper transfers.
- Avery Dark T-Shirt Transfers for inkjet printers are designed for dark fabrics.