1. Technology
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum


Where pages meet in the middle


gutters alley page layout

Although often both referred to as gutters, the space between columns is really an alley. | Design & Layout | Alpha Index of Full Glossary:

# | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | XYZ


The inside margins or blank space between two facing pages is the gutter. The gutter space is that extra space allowance used to accommodate the binding in books and magazines. The amount of gutter needed varies depending on the binding method.

In saddled-stitched publications the amount of gutter, as well as the outside margins are adjusted to allow for creep. Gutter is sometimes used to refer to the alley or space between columns of text in a page layout.

For Further Study Related to Gutter: Saddle-Stitched Binding | Designing Margins

Also Known As: inside margins

Terms Related to Gutter

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.