In addition to proper application of the various copyright symbols and trademark symbols you will often have to fine-tune them for the best visual appearance. Learn how to type the copyright, trademark, and registered tradmark symbols found in most standard Mac and Windows fonts.
Time Required: A few seconds to type or code copyright symbol.
- Create the TM trademark symbols ™ using Option-2 on the Mac. Under Windows, create TM trademark symbols ™ using ALT 0153 (hold down the ALT key and type 0153 on the numeric keypad).
- Create the circled C copyright symbols © using Option-G on the Mac. Under Windows, create circled C copyright symbols © using ALT 0169.
- Create the circled R registered trademark symbols ® using Option-R on the Mac. Under Windows, create circled R registered trademark symbols ® using ALT 0174.
- Create TM trademark symbols in HTML with & #0153; (ampersand-no space, pound sign, 0153, semi-colon) or with Unicode: & #8482; (no spaces).
- Create circled C copyright symbols in HTML with & #0169; (ampersand-no space, pound sign, 0169, semi-colon).
- Create circled R registered trademark symbols in HTML with & #0174; (ampersand-no space, pound sign, 0174, semi-colon).
- In some fonts the copyright symbols may need to be reduced in size to keep from overpowering adjacent text.
- The TM trademark symbols are superscripted. If you prefer to create your own trademark symbols, type the letters T and M then apply superscript style in your software.
- The circled C copyright symbols © should be on the baseline, not superscripted.
- The circled R registered trademark symbols ® can be on the baseline or superscripted (raised slightly and reduced in size).
- If unable to see certain copyright symbols or if they display incorrectly, check your font. Some fonts may not have some of these copyright symbols mapped to the same position.
- The circled P copyright symbol for sound recordings is not standard in most fonts. It can be found in some specialty fonts or extended characters sets. Although not yet widely supported in Web browsers, & #8471; (with no space) is the Sound Recording Copyright Symbol in Unicode ℗.
- For copyright symbols that rest on the baseline, try matching the size to the x-height of the font.
- For copyright symbols that are superscripted, reduce their size to about 55–60% of your text size.
- ™ © ®. In some browsers some of these copyright symbols may not appear correctly depending on the fonts installed.
- Windows users can use Windows Character Map to locate the copyright symbols in any font.
- Although often used on the Web and in print, (c) — c in parentheses — is not a legal substitute for the circled c copyright symbol.