Dig into the meaning and negative/positive symbolism of yellow as well as the colors that work well with shades of yellow.
Shades of Yellow These words are synonymous with or represent various shades of the color yellow: banana, cadmium yellow, chartreuse, chiffon, cream, golden, goldenrod, khaki, lemon, mellow yellow, saffron, topaz, yellow ocher.
Nature and Culture:
Yellow is one of the warm colors. Because of the high visibility of bright yellow, it is often used for hazard signs and some emergency vehicles. Yellow is cheerful.
For years yellow ribbons were worn as a sign of hope as women waited from their men to come marching home from war. Today, they are still used to welcome home loved ones. Its use for hazard signs creates an association between yellow and danger, although not quite as dangerous as red.
If someone is yellow it means they are a coward so yellow can have a negative meaning in some cultures.
Yellow is for mourning in Egypt and actors of the Middle Ages wore yellow to signify the dead. Yet yellow has also represented courage (Japan), merchants (India), and peace.
- Use bright yellow to create excitement when red or orange may be too strong or too dark.
- Yellow can be perky.
- Use yellow to suggest freshness and citrus fruitiness.
- Golden yellows can stand in for gold.
With Other Colors:
- Use yellow to perk up a more subdued cool palette of blues and grays.
- Use lemon yellow with orange to carry out a healthy, summery, citrus theme.
- Very pale yellows can work as neutrals alongside darker or richer colors.
- Yellow and blue are a high contrast, eye-popping combination.
- Mix yellow with neutral gray and a dash of black for a high-tech look.
- Try a hot, exciting mix of red and yellow.
- For an earthy palette, especially for fall, mix yellow, olive green, and brown.
- While yellows and bright or light greens can be part of a natural, fruity color palette, be careful not to use colors too close in value or they will appear washed out.
In Other Design Fields:
- Yellow ribbon - hope, support, remembrance
- Mellow yellow - laid back, relaxation
- Yellow or Yellow streak or Yellow-bellied - cowardice or coward
- Yellow journalism - irresponsible reporting
Is Yellow Your Favorite Color?
See how many others share the same color favorites.
- Yes, I'm happy to choose the color yellow
- No, my favorite color is Gold | Blue | Red | Black | Pink | Orange | Purple | Green | Turquoise
View Results for Your Favorite Color Poll