Green is the color of life, of nature.Explore meanings, palettes, and the language and symbolism of the color green.
Shades of Green These words are synonymous with or represent various shades of the color green: apple, aquamarine, beryl, chartreuse, emerald, fir, forest, grass green, jade, kelly green, lawn green, leaf green, lime, mint, moss, olive, olive drab, pea green, pine, sage, sap, sea green, seafoam, spring green, viridian.
The Nature and Culture:
It is a restful color with some of the same calming attributes of blue. Like blue, time moves faster in a green room.
Green is strongly associated with Ireland, the Irish, and St. Patrick's Day. Green also has close associations with Islam.
Because of all the green in nature the color is reminiscent of Spring. It's also the color for "go" on a traffic light. Grow and Go with Green. Outside of traffic lights, coupled with red it's a Christmas color.
- With both a warming and cooling effect, the color green denotes balance, harmony, and stability.
- Use several shades of green for a fresh, Springtime feel.
- Olive, also called olive drab, is a not so drab summery green that may have military overtones for some people.
Using Green with Other Colors
- Green with blue produces echoes of nature - water and forest and can denote new beginnings and growth.
- Green with brown, tan, or beige says organic or recycled and can be a good color combination for packaging of those type of products.
- Tri-color combinations of green with yellow and black or white are sporty, outdoorsy colors. Purple with green can be high contrast, lively.
- Lime green with orange and yellow is a fresh and fruity palette.
In Other Design Fields:
- Green light - go, permission to proceed (with a task)
- The green room - in theater or televisions it is the room where performers and guests go to relax
- Green thumb - good with plants
- Greenback - US dollar bill, money
- Greener pastures - something newer or better (or perceived to be better), such as a new job
- Green-eyed monster - jealosy
- Green with envy - jealous or envious
- Green - inexperienced, untested, untrained
- Greenhorn - novice, trainee, beginner
- Green around the gills - pale, sickly
Is Green Your Favorite Color?
See how many others share the same color favorites.
- Yes, I'm constantly renewed by of the color green
- No, my favorite color is Gold | Blue | Turquoise | Black | Purple | Pink | Red | Orange | Yellow
View Results for Your Favorite Color Poll
More Color Meanings