Riches and Excess:
A cousin to yellow (and orange and brown) is gold. While green may be the color of money (U.S. money, that is) gold is the color of riches and extravagance.
Nature and Culture of Gold:
Because gold is a precious metal, the color gold is associated with wealth and prosperity. While all that glitters is not gold the color gold still suggests grandeur, and perhaps on the downside, the excesses of the rich. Gold is the traditional gift for a Fiftieth Wedding Anniversary while gold-like bronze is for the eighth and copper with its reddish-gold tones is for the seventh.
Add a small amount of metallic gold ink to a project for a special, rich touch. Bright gold catches the eye while darker subdued shades of gold lend richness and warmth. Accent a logo or other design elements with gold foil embossing. Use gold ribbons or braids on formal invitations, certificates, and diplomas.
Using Gold with Other Colors:
Language of Gold:
The use of gold in familiar phrases can help a designer see how their color of choice might be perceived by others, both the positive and negative aspects.
- Gold star - praise, commendation
- Good as gold - valuable, positive
- Solid gold - superior, outstanding, best of the best
- Gold standard - the best, a measure of quality, excellence
- Golden child/boy - favored person
- Gold brick - trick, cheat, or deceive
- Golddigger - someone who feigns genuine interest but is only after a person's money
- Fool's Gold - mica, anything mistaken for gold, worthless
Gold Words: These words are synonymous with gold or represent various shades of the color gold.
Goldenrod, yellow gold, honey, bronze, copper.
Is Gold Your Favorite Color?
See how many others share the same color favorites.
Yes, I'm into the grandeur of the color gold
- No, my favorite color is Green | Blue | Turquoise | Black | Purple | Pink | Red | Orange | Yellow
View Results for Your Favorite Color Poll