1. Computing

Jacci Howard Bear

Anyone Still Using Corel Ventura?

By October 8, 2010

Over on this site's Facebook page, a reader asked wrote about "a great desktop package call Ventura. It was the king of long documents..."  My response?

"Back when I was first considering desktop publishing software I looked at Ventura Publisher but then went in another direction. It became Corel Ventura at some point. And it's been stuck there at version 10 since 2002. Up until the last couple of years I would hear from dedicated Ventura users but not much at all anymore. I honestly don't know how many folks are really still using it these days. Any Ventura users reading this? Is it dead or is a resurrection still possible?"

So, is anyone still using Corel Ventura? I still list it on my big list of desktop publishing software. Corel still sells it. Is anyone buying? Post in the comments if you or your company still uses Corel Ventura or if you were using it until recently. How do you use it? If you stopped, why and what did you switch to? Is Corel planning to ever do anything with this software (like, maybe, update it?)

Corel Ventura 10 Box shot courtesy of Corel Corp.

Comments
October 11, 2010 at 11:26 am
(1) Carol Lovelady says:

Yes, I absolutely still use Ventura. Until a few months ago it was the only program I used to make my living. Now I’m also using InDesign and wish constantly that it had some of the great features of Ventura.

Although both programs have a lot to offer, but I’m constantly amazed at what InDesign doesn’t have. For instance, Ventura makes it easy for the user to be very productive. There are tabbed dialog boxes so that I easily move from one section of the formatting to another without having to open and close multiple boxes. Another great features is the fact that I can keep the dialog box open, make a change to a paragraph or object, hit Apply, then move on and do something similar without having to close and open boxes all the time. And, there’s a Repeat icon so I can repeat my last step, whatever it was–no need for a script.

As for the interface, I’ve always used a PC and Ventura is truly a Windows program with icons. InDesign doesn’t have icons for a lot of common features such as Open/Close, Save/Save As, etc. I hate using menus or keyboard shortcuts all the time.

I could go on and on. It’s interesting that so many of the features that InDesign has acquired over the past few versions are things that have been in Ventura forever. For instance, one new feature in CS5 is the ability to spread a paragraph over several coloumns. We’ve been doing that for decades in Ventura. Really.

Even though Ventura has not been updated in years it still runs on all current operating systems so I plan to continue using it until that’s no longer true.

There are nice features in InDesign that I wish were in Ventura, but not so many that I would forgo Ventura for any serious long document work. For long documents, it can run rings around InDesign.

October 12, 2010 at 6:23 pm
(2) Devorah Fox says:

Yes, ‘ve been using it since version 1.0 when Xerox owned it… and I’m still using it, running it in virtual WinXP Mode on a Win7 64 bit machine. There are indeed things I’ve been able to do in Ventura for decades that I still can’t do easily in InDesign. I dread having to recreate all our publications (some over 500 pages and all with indices) in ID but I know that day is coming… :(

October 18, 2010 at 9:58 am
(3) Marian says:

YES. My love affair with Ventura began in 1989 and contnues to this day. There is a very active and enthusiastic group of Ventura users on the CorelDrawUsersGroup list:

Most Ventura users are long-time faithful fans who would never consider using anything else.
Even thoughthere are some Corel insiders on this list we are unable to get an answer as to why Corel hasn’t taken better care of this magnificent orphan. For now, there are enough experienced users to keep it going for a long time – without Corel’s assistance if necessary.

Marian in New York
CDUG ListMom

October 18, 2010 at 10:12 am
(4) Pradhan Balter says:

It has been 10 years since Ventura has been upgraded and it STILL does things no other layout program can do. I use it exclusively. And I bet you’ll find most Ventura users of the past still use it today. A little bit of upgrading and it would really shine when compared to what else is out there.

October 18, 2010 at 10:30 am
(5) Rev. Iain in Halifax NS says:

I’ve been using Ventura since version 3, when it was still a Xerox product. I use it in combination with Corel Draw (now at X5) every week at my church to produce the Sunday bulletin for worship. It’s a lot of software for a small, regular task, but it makes it so easy I can’t imagine moving to anything else. I can leave finishing off the bulletin until Saturday evening, which lets me include the inevitable last-minute phone calls, “Pastor, can you announce…” Ventura lets me place things on the page with a precision just not available in Word or WordPerfect. And if I need to tweak the layout to make a bit more room, I can click a couple of paragraphs and drop font size by a decimal-point or more, and every instance of those paragraph is reformatted accordingly. It allows me to produce a very user-friendly piece of paper every week, so that anyone who comes to my service who has NOT been in church for the past 30 years will not be embarrassed at not knowing what to do next– stand or sit, speak or sing… or just sit and listen. It concerns me profoundly that Corel is simply sitting on this package while the rest of the Windows software world moves to Microsoft’s step. How long before the next iteration of Windows simply will not ‘take’ Ventura? I won’t be buying that Windows upgrade, I’m afraid.

October 18, 2010 at 10:56 am
(6) Susie says:

Yes, I use Ventura every single day. I’ve been using it since it was in its infancy and even today, there is nothing on the market that can do half of what Ventura does.

Corel has lost sight of what a jewel they have in Ventura, and its loyal users.

I think I will give up my job if I ever have to stop using Ventura. It can’t be beat for long documents, handling of footnotes, indices, TOC, references, etc. Those of us who use it will never willingly give it up.

October 18, 2010 at 12:51 pm
(7) Karen Rathbun says:

I bought Corel Ventura about a year ago. Corel does not advertise an upgrade price for it but when I asked for one, as a long-time user of CorelDraw, they obliged. There is no support for it at Corel but, as somebody mentioned, there is such an enthusiastic and knowledgeable group of Ventura users at the CDUG users group (Yahoo Groups) that I never feel alone at any part of the learning curve. (I did buy an old copy of a book on Ventura 10 online, and an e-book as well which was an excellent help.) The project for which I needed a desktop publishing program was a 500-plus page book — mostly text but sprinkled throughout with b&w photos — with TOC, footnotes, appendices, and an index. Ventura was the perfect tool for the job. I can’t speak as a DTP expert, and have never used any other DTP program, but I can speak as a newbie with graphics background and familiarity with the Corel graphics suite.

October 18, 2010 at 2:12 pm
(8) Dave Hughes says:

I still use Ventura — have been using it since the later 1980s. There is absolutely nothing out there like it for the small system desktop publisher. Yes, Rel 10 is getting a bit old and gray, but when looking at a manuscript that will include multiple illustraions (tables, line, photo) with the need forcross-references within a 300 page plus document, it is still absolutely the best way to go. Wouldn’t it be nice if Corel would dust it off and update it just a teeny bit!

October 18, 2010 at 6:53 pm
(9) Corel Product Lover! says:

I really have to reitterate how awesome this program is…even if it is a bit dated. It does things most of the newer products on the market cannot do. It was way ahead of it’s time and still widely used.

I’ve found it’s great for large and small publications such as newsletters, church bulletins, and producing books.

Corel needs to seriously consider picking it up, dusting it off, and coming out with a “swoopy” new version! If they do not plan on updating it, they should at least consider releasing the source code to the open-source community for further development.

I must also note that the CDUG group at YahooGroups is phenomenal. It’s been a really great, FREE, support resource for all kinds of Corel products! There are a lot of really nice and knowledgeable people there. Great community.

October 18, 2010 at 7:38 pm
(10) Lynn says:

Thanks to all the long time users of Ventura they guided me to it just last year, so to answer your question yes people are still buying it. I’ve used CorelDRAW since version 3 so I asked for a discount and Corel made me an offer I coudln’t refuse. I’m still learning my way around but wouldn’t give it up – I’m using it to create a manual for embroidery software and can see using it for other projects too.
Hard to believe Corel already has an army of faithful users and still can’t see the need to update Ventura!

October 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm
(11) Adele Cooke says:

We have been using Ventura since it first came out. We’re using version 5 and are facing a problem. I’m hoping someone can help.

Our book is now over 1000 pages but Ventura won’t let me reset the page number for anything more than 1000. Because I do individual sections & use the same chapter style just put in different text, I have to override the counter. This stops at 1000.

Help!

October 21, 2010 at 5:18 am
(12) Malcolm says:

I have used Ventura since its Xerox days, and was a beta user for the Macintosh version, which was cancelled back in 1992, I think. Today I plan to re-install it under Linux.

Ventura’s document philosophy was very similar to pre-Windows Microsoft Word, so the two made a very good software suite. Both had font tables and external style sheets. Later, some of Ventura’s features were copied by Ami WordPro, which eventually became IBM’s Lotus SmartSuite. For speed, efficiency, and long documents, nothing compares with Ventura, which means labor costs are much lower than the dreary alternatives from Apple and Adobe.

So yes, Ventura is still around, still succeeding, still productive, and still the standard of excellence in Desktop Publishing. Thanks for asking.

November 5, 2010 at 4:38 pm
(13) eric klein nagelvoort says:

I ‘am using Ventura sinds it was introduced (gem version). I still have the floppy disks!

We produce a lot of different newspapers every week (in the Netherlands). No other programme is able to match Ventura (not even Indesign). We organised several battles between Indesign and Ventura. Same newspaper, same files. Ventura rules! Again and again. So we hope Corel develops a new version (11) for Win 7 (64 bit).

If the do, we will be the first to buy!

November 12, 2010 at 2:39 pm
(14) Debc says:

I started a new job recently and need to use Ventura 10. I’ve never used Ventura before and would love to have access to a tutorial. I can’t seem to find it. The company I work for provided a user guide for Ventura 8 which mentions that the tutorial is under the help menu. This doesn’t seem to be the case for Ventura 10.

Any suggestions on the best way to get up to speed quickly?

January 9, 2011 at 5:38 pm
(15) Lee Merideth says:

I have been using Ventura since V2 came out. During a move a few years ago I lost the disk. Now I have managed to crash the computer it was running on. I fixed the computer but it now needs the disk to reboot Ventura. So I’m thinking it is time to get a new computer with Win7.

Corel says VP won’t run on the Win7 XP emulation, but at least one person on this blog says it does. Has anyone else been able to use Ventura on the Win7 XP emulation.

Also, does anyone know if there is a disk available that can be used to reboot the program from an existing copy?

Thanks

Lee at rocklinpress@earthlink.net

January 24, 2011 at 12:48 pm
(16) S.K. Eptic says:

I have worked on a variety of page layout program over the last twenty years – Pagemaker, Quark Xpress, Adobe InDesign, and a number of far less recognisable software titles – but I rue the days I have to deal with Corel Ventura.

Point is, those above who love it have been using it since it arose, and like a skilled aircraft pilot trained to fly a specific type of aircraft, they will not give up on it, despite the fact it is not bound to be updated, and support for it is almost nil. It may be an excellent program for them, but for someone new to the graphic design field, it is a poor, and expensive choice at best.

Those who dismiss InDesign or Quark as inferior products either have not bothered to delve deeper into the awesome potential of those programs, or are so entrenched in their ways they cannot conceive of doing something different.

Until Corel decides to update this program to work properly on Windows 7, I would consider it one of those great programs of the past whose time is all but gone, much like the Compugraphic machines of old.

February 2, 2011 at 4:49 am
(17) werner says:

At times I swear at the program, when it crashes, and your last half hour is gone, when it inserts fonts on its own randomly or when it seems to get hung when saving on nothing you could pin it down on and eventually comes back as saved. But then I wanted to buy Indesign CS5 and it is the worst user interface I ever came across. I then asked for support information or information for a tutorial but nothing came ever forth as a response. The company just ignored my request. I used the trial version for a month just like a baby without a mother. With that kind of service I am better off with my old shoes. I know how to fix them and I am comfortable.
Long live Ventura 10. And if those gurus at Corel could see what they could cash in on, it would make them jump.
I wrote 4 books (from 144 to 320 pages) and tens of manuals, fliers and what have you. My latest book Harmonic Farming: Bees is about to come out this spring. If you like to see some of it just google the title. Take care, Werner Gysi. And I am not about to let go of that program. It works if you know how to tweak it.

February 14, 2011 at 4:46 pm
(18) Scott Stewart says:

Yes, I use Ventura 10 for book layout and long structured documents. I can use (and have) most other contenders to the throne (FrameMaker, InDesign, Quark), but none has toppled Ventura. With so many features in a single product, it’s still “owns” in DTP. I wish Corel would do the next best thing (since it’s clear they aren’t going to do the best thing and are missing out on a great opportunity to compete with Adobe–with its host of detractors and haters–with and integrated DTP and graphics suite) and sell the product to a firm that was interested in it instead of letting die on the vine. I’ll use it till I can’t use it anymore, and I’ll try like the devil to use it even then.

April 23, 2011 at 6:24 pm
(19) yaakov says:

corel won’t take me off their spam list. I figure that if they can’t do that, they can’t produce good software.

May 17, 2011 at 1:26 pm
(20) Tom says:

I have been using Ventura since 1989 and there is nothing out there that can beat it for long technical documents with lots of figures, tables, and equations. The only thin that can kill it is Corel, by not updating it to run under Win 7 64bit.
Unfortunately I had to go to Framemaker to continue creating documents in Win 7, but it is not nearly as fast, intuitive, or clean as Ventura. I hate it every time I am forced to use it.

I wish Corel would sell the program to another company that would keep it updated. They don’t need to add anything to it, it already does everything that a technical document needs. They just need keep it running under new os’s. It could be a competitor for Word if it was marketed correctly.

June 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm
(21) Sheila Lowe says:

I’ve been using Ventura since Xerox 1.0 and have found nothing better. I need a copy of the V. 10 manual–can’t find mine. Any ideas?

June 7, 2011 at 1:58 am
(22) Sheila says:

I’ve been using VP since Xerox version 1.1 and I run it without issue on Windows 7 using Run as Administrator. I did the same with XP and Vista.
Thanks to reading all these great emails I solved my problem–I was trying to figure out where to get a manual, as I haven’t used mine in years and suddenly needed it. Something I read reminded me to look on the disk, and there it was.
I use VP for my newsletter and flyers for my consulting practice. I wonder how many protesting users it would take to get Corel to bring out an upgrade.

June 30, 2011 at 10:31 am
(23) George says:

We have one user in our print shop who has been using Ventura for years and still swears by it. However, it’s a tremendous nuisance. Our IT guy hates it. Once again this user is begging for a new computer, and the IT guy blames Ventura. Like all the diehards above, this person thinks there is nothing quite like it in all the world. To me it is the most unintuitive and backwards program I ever tried to use. I consider all Corel products to be junkware. All of you above who are begging for Corel to update it are living in cloud cuckoo land. The reason Corel won’t put money and resources into Ventura is because NO ONE WANTS TO BUY IT except the 20 or so people on this thread. Get real folks. Adobe is the way to go, both present and future.

July 26, 2011 at 11:44 am
(24) vito says:

I’ve been using Corel Ventura since the very first edition.
Today there’s nothing can work like it does.
Sorry I haven’t found any patch to use Ventura with Windows Seven.
Vito

August 26, 2011 at 11:59 am
(25) Carol Lovelady says:

Ventura works with Windows 7. Anyone needing more information can get to me through my web site (loveladyconsulting.com).

October 10, 2011 at 8:32 am
(26) Hans van den Berg says:

Yes, I use Ventura. I made 15 yearbooks with it, became an old age pensioner, and now I make the periodical for the photoclub with it. I tried to use another program (Serif Pageplus X4) which is not bad at all, but I turned back to Ventura, and I am glad I did.

And surely, Ventura works very well with Windows7, 64. I had some problems when I first tried, but I found out that copying a specifiek file from the cd of V10 makes it work alright. (Don’t know which anymore). Hardly any crashes, but make backups regularly.

Come on Corel, you are being stupid!
Hans

November 4, 2011 at 12:35 pm
(27) Patrick Cunningham says:

I too have been using Ventura since Xerox version one in GEM. And I too think Corel is stupid. There are still enough users out there, and the program as it is still works. Intsead of abandoning it, drop the price to $99; relaease the code to users and use the small income to support upgrades created by the users.

Regarding System 7 . . . I am running it without major problems . . . a couple or LET fonts aren’t recognized . . . but it seems to run fine most of the time. But when I put in the installation disk it said that it wasn’t compatable (I had upgraded from Vista with the program already installed.)

The lack of support and caring from Corel caused me to drop Word Perfect Office and go to Microsoft Office . . . like another commentor, I have years of work wrapped up in Ventura, and purchased nine versions (I’m now using Ven 10) I will never consider another Corel product if they don’t deal with this in a way that supports their loyal customers . . .

December 12, 2011 at 4:44 am
(28) Graham says:

having used Ventura since version 1 I totally agree with the comments above that it is a great piece of software andit is a shame that Corel are not supporting it further. I do agree this is the only reason I would consider moving to another DTP software but only then with great sadness. I have it running smoothly on Win 7 (64b) so not sure why others may be having problems.

January 24, 2012 at 9:37 am
(29) David dewick says:

I still use Ventura 10, although I’ve never got it to run smoothly on W7 64b, running it in an XP VM instead. Quite simply, it does relatively simply what Word and many others can’t: extremely accurate placement of material on a page. It is simply outstanding at creating and managing long documents (I think somewhere that DeBrett’s Peerage was set up in Ventura!). Like many other bits of software that provide enormous amounts of functionality, it does take time to learn, but that time is rewarded over and over again.

Corel and its products may have their critics, but I’ve grown up (and old!) with them, and find that I can usually do what I need with them.

There are bugs in V10, and most of these seem to revolve around formulae in tables, particularly if rows or colums are changed. That makes it a bit difficult when setting out company accounts, but as I don’t do those anymore, it’s not so much of a pressing problem.

February 24, 2012 at 9:52 am
(30) Nick Holmes says:

I have been using ventura for over 20 years and agree with all the above positive comments.

I have been stuck with v 8 on an XP machine for the last several years, but now want to move to Win 7 with v 10. Corel themselves are really unhelpful, saying in the end, No, it wouldn’t work, but comments above suggest otherwise. Could I have a definite answer from those who are using 10 under Win 7.

March 13, 2012 at 10:12 am
(31) Donald Miller says:

I like the other commentators am a long time Ventura user, and still think it is the best publishing software especially for book publishing. However I cannot get Version 10 to work with Windows 7 64 bit. Is there anything I can do? I cannot just abandon all my years of work and transfer to another software package. Ventura cannot just abandon all it’s faithful customers, please we need definitive answers and solutions. Help Please!!!

March 26, 2012 at 10:37 am
(32) David N. Goodchild says:

I am still using Ventura (both 8 and 10) and have been since before it was Ventura. I used it on the Xerox 8085 (Star) when the software was called Vuepoint. It is incomparable.

March 28, 2012 at 10:37 am
(33) Nick Holmes says:

Donald

I have been advised v 10 will run in virtual XP mode, so what you need to do is:

* right click on the program icon
* select Properties
* select Compatibility tab
* check Run this program in compatibility mode for:
* select the XP SP 2 option

Can anyone else confirm?

April 3, 2012 at 6:31 pm
(34) Chris says:

@ Donald Miller an other Windows 7 users:
Forget Virtual Machines, VP 10 works better than ever before in W7:

– To install, use SETUP32, run it with XP(SP3) compatibility mode.
– After installing, run the patch Ventura10Patch.exe (download from the web).
– Then copy the “MFC42.dll” from your VP 10 DVD to …\Programs\CorelVentura10\Programs.

Enjoy your reborn DTP!
Chris

April 9, 2012 at 10:57 am
(35) Mike Schmidt says:

I still use it and love it. I started using Ventura in 1987. I think it was a Xerox product then.

I have yet to see another program that handles creation of indexes, tables of contents, and cross-references as simply and elegantly as VP.

I see some comments that say how it works well under Windows7, but I coulndn’t get it to load. I’m on XP now, but will be changing soon. Windows7 has an XP emulation mode, and VP works there, but if it works directly in 7, I’d like to try it.

That, OR, is there another program that works as well? A short trial with Adobe products only frustrated me.

If anyone has suggestions on using VP in Win7, or on other comparable software, I’m all ears (which is a strange mental picture, at best).

Also, if there IS another program, will I be able to edit old VP files in it?

I hate to see Ventura go away.

Mike

April 23, 2012 at 5:39 am
(36) Richard Guthrie says:

I still use Ventura 3 in its GEM version as it does all I need. I bought it in 1991, I think. I’ve gone back to school and I’m currently writing my PhD thesis using it. I’m amazed how much hassle people doing their theses in Word have. Ventura makes so many things so easy.

August 18, 2012 at 8:13 am
(37) Judy Paule says:

I would like to go back to using Ventura Publisher. I still have the disks, but I am not sure how to load them onto an XP version of Windows.
Nor onto W7, another machine I do have.
I do have a separate drive for disks, which I managed to buy before they disappeared, but couldn’t figure out how to load them up.
I am in Australia and I went to the VP convention in San Hose, eons ago.
Another Aussie there I met; Barbara Niven, but lost track of her.
Any ideas how I can get my original floppy disks (big ones) to work would be wonderful. Thank you

August 22, 2012 at 2:35 am
(38) Glen says:

Although the folks at Corel really deserve a severe roasting for abandoning their faithful Ventura users, as others have said in this comments column, it still works BRILLIANTLY with Win 7, provided you observe the compatibility issues when loading the program. I started using Ventura when it was still a Xerox company, and followed through all subsequent iterations including the acquisition by Corel. That was actually a bit of a step back, I think.
However, Version 10 (with update) may date back to 2002, but it can handle single pamphlets, duplex printing of fold-out brochures and 350-page medical textbooks complete with many illustrations, TOC and multiple index generation. That’s why the faithful users are still faithful. I have looked for something better, and I tried InDesign, but I always come back to Ventura because it allows us to take liberties with vertical justification which I have been unable to match elsewhere. The only minor problem is in the file import side, because newer MS Word (DOCX) and even Corel’s own Draw X6 CDR files cannot be directly imported. If anyone at Corel is reading this ….. get your fingers out of … your ears … and give us an updated Ventura which works as brilliantly as it does now, but with all your other new stuff (and that of other software giants)!!

August 30, 2012 at 11:03 am
(39) Carol Lovelady says:

Judy, if you have floppy disks your version of Ventura is possibly too old to get running properly on Windows XP. And, if it won’t run on that machine, you probably won’t get it to run in the XP mode on a Windows 7 machine either. I suggest you try to get a later version. It will have a lot of newer features but the same basic good ones that some current programs still lack.

August 30, 2012 at 11:19 am
(40) Carol Lovelady says:

Those who don’t like Ventura or who have never tried it, just don’t get it. Ventura had features in its first version that the others added much later. Ventura still has features that users of the other programs wish they had.

An example: if you work with lots of photos or graphics that need captions Ventura’s caption feature is much more flexible than what InDesign has just recently added.

Another example: Ventura allows users to copy ALL style elements from one publication to another in one pass rather than one group at a time. This is much quicker than ID’s method.

Ventura had styles from version 1. The other programs added them later because they were a smart feature.

Our tool may not be as shinny as the new ones, but it still works and in many cases gets the job done faster.

August 30, 2012 at 11:41 am
(41) Jill T says:

I have used Ventura for years, starting with a DOS version and upgrading right up to version 10. I have never found anything to touch it and still think Version 4 for DOS was the best!
I have recently changed platforms and am getting used to using a Mac but I will always keep a Windows machine so that I don’t lose Ventura.

September 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm
(42) NJrktect says:

I have been using VP since version 1 (1987) and our office uses it for all long documents, meaning almost everything that Draw can’t handle. I have tried some of the alternatives but none accomplish what Ventura does in such a simple manner. To call Ventura unintuitive is a seriously confused response. IT doesn’t like it because Corel has not developed it to play nice with Windows 7 and they are usually too lazy to find out how to make it run smoothly.

As we move to Windows 7 and look forward to Windows 8 it has me a bit worried. The recommended install procedures sound like they will suffice for the time being. But I have zero hope that Corel will do anything positive with the software, seemingly intent on killing thorough neglect. No matter how wonderful the product, using software developed over 10 years ago that is not being developed or supported is scary and probably not sane for the long haul.

Big question is, if you could not use Ventura again, what would the best alternative be for long precision-formatted documents? Has anyone tried Scribus? InDesign has as many detractors as proponents when you specifically ask about long documents.

(I suspect there is no good answer, but it’s worth asking.)

September 12, 2012 at 6:06 am
(43) Sasha says:

CorelVentura 10 is one and only. Ventura is made for books. There is no even near replacement for it. Who publish books better use Ventura.

End of story.

Try to import Bible text in Word or InDesign, then try to work on it. And do not cheat, import minimum The New Testament. Not just 20 pages, import full. And give a try.
In Ventura, work done in no time, speed amazing, everything you need is there.

I use Ventura since 1994, also I did try and even use InDesign and QuarXPress, but those are for Newspapers, 2-4 page layout, not for books.

October 15, 2012 at 7:37 pm
(44) Dave Mullan says:

Yep, I’ve been with Ventura since it was first released and my College wouldn’t upgrade my XT PC to AT to use Pagemaker. I’ve formatted about 120 books with it in a part hobby business and moved through to CV-8. Haven’t upgraded to Windows 7 because Corel has abandoned it and CV-10 too costly. Shame on them, I say! Great program.

Trying now to run it from a remote drive. How do you get it to find the SH33W32.dll to start up?

October 16, 2012 at 12:56 pm
(45) Wtin says:

I can’t live without Corel Ventura Publisher. I don’t use Microsoft Word because it’s just horrible with formatting – and most of the time the pages do not format correctly on another computer (it’s a known fact). I don’t even like their WordPerfect – and that program gets updated once a year?!!

Adobe Framemaker is difficult to use. Adobe Indesign is impossible to use. Where are the icons? The interface is terrible.

Corel should have marketed it better. It was forgotten because hardly anyone knew anything about it. Almost like a little restaurant in the hole where regular customers go, but no one else has heard of it.

I have been using it since version 1.1. It came in a huge box and it was not cheap. Did newsletter for a local church and they bought it for me. Have upgraded to every version and am using the current .. well, not so current one.

To get around save as PDF file with Windows 7 64 bit, I use Corel PDF Fusion – Print to, that is. Otherwise Adobe Type 1 (Postscript) fonts don’t get converted – only Truetype fonts. Otherwise you’d have to run it in Windows XP mode.

Post your comments here http://corelblogs.wordpress.com/2012/10/03/subscription-a-new-choice-for-coreldraw-users/ Nick, a senior VP at Corel will see them.

November 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm
(46) Michael Skliros says:

As far as I’m aware, the still unique feature of Ventura is that it can accept coded ASCII .txt files – that is, Ventura instructions like and for indexing and footnotes.
I do an alumni magazine for an English private school, to which some 1700 former pupils send in their news. So when Fred Bloggs tells us about his new job, I overwrite his name with a formula from the alumni spreadsheet:
Fred Bloggs
which makes Fred’s name appear in bold and furthermore, when the indexing software is run, his name appear in an index in under 2 seconds, saying (among 1700 others) that Bloggs, FW, who left School House in 1987, appears on p.133, or whatever.
All 144 pages are in Notepad until a day or two before it’s sent to the printers.
The humour of this, apart from every other school wondering how we do it, is that I’m a ‘Rev’ and the suggestion that I indexed it came from the world’s leading atheist, Richard Dawkins, who was at the school a few years after me. We get on quite well.
Another publication, a sheep directory, comes in old mainframe coded format, e.g.:
%A%NParticulars of Flocks 2011
%H%B2134
%L%B%MFlock dispersed 2010.
It’s a matter of moments to do Search&Replaces to produce:
@mainhead = Particulars of Flocks 2011
@flockno = Flock No. 2134
@lastline = Flock dispersed 2010.
etc, which is then loaded onto the page, tag-ready.The main section of 400 pages, every line differently styled, is turned round and sent back within half an hour. Can any other page makeup program touch this?

November 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm
(47) Michael Skliros says:

Putting Ventura codes in my comment rather screwed it up! Email me (pifont2@gmail.com) if you want to see it untangled.

November 26, 2012 at 4:26 pm
(48) Gail Colaco says:

WOW
So glad to see I am not the only one still in love with Corel Ventura. I use an even older version (v5) but still love it.

I have been using it since the xerox days myself and didn’t want to upgrade after v5.

I have published many documents with this software that I could not publish using other software.

It is what excellent software looks like.

November 30, 2012 at 2:09 am
(49) Sandeep Arora says:

Great to find Ventura loyalists like me. I am also a diehard fan of this wonderful product. I have been using this great product ever since 1993 and now I am using Corel Ventura 10.

It pains me like you that Corel has abandoned it ruthlessly. Is it possible that we all, loyalist users and diehard fans of Ventura Publisher, come up with some online petition to request Corel to look in to it and provide support to great product.?

Please reply.

November 30, 2012 at 5:58 pm
(50) tony says:

Long Live Ventura!
I still use it because Indesign CS6 (yes, Indesign CS6 in 2012) can’t make me productive as I am with Ventura 10. Indesign CS6 is a powerfull bloatware, but Ventura 10 is powerful and… nothing else.
I can’t produce a forniture price list with drawings and 200+ pages full of tables without bogging down my system using Indesign CS6.
But with Ventura 10 is just a snap. It’s refreshing when I’m using Ventura 10.
tony

December 17, 2012 at 4:44 pm
(51) Philp C says:

Yes. I’m another one of those antique souls who wish Corel hadn’t got their hands on Ventura. I’ve used it since version one arrived in Britain. I went to a computer show in London looking for a dtp programme to use and there it was – just about to arrive in the UK. I wanted something to deal with long reports and that is exactly what it is good at. I worked with Quark for a while later on and PageMaker too but found Ventura much better than both and never gave it up. Version 10 on works OK on windows 7 but it’s fiddly to get it to work and it tends to crash occasionally. Not ideal but hey! – I know what it can do and that’s what exactly I want. Corel did the same with that great little programme PhotoPaint. You can get the updated version but you need to pay about £500 for a commercial licence because you can only get it with CorelDraw. Corel is hopeless…Tragic really. Short-sighted greed on their part. Take the profit that people like me are prepared give them and give nothing back until interest in the programme finally dies away to zero. What a company! All they have got to do is make it work with the latest OS or better still sell it to a company which is interested to do something with it.

December 19, 2012 at 12:49 am
(52) rudy s. says:

i have been using vp since ver 1 till ver 10, and vp is working best.
i use the vp for medical text book for one of the medical faculty in bandung indonesia. the minimum pages is around 200 and so far the max si around 700 pages b5 size paper.
can anyone give advice how to make the e-book after converted the file using the vp into the pdf? the file size is very large, is there any way to reduce it?
thanks

December 27, 2012 at 11:48 am
(53) Noah says:

Rudy, your best shot (other than ditching Ventura) is to export the text as .html, then make the fixes in the .html code to make the e-book acceptable for the various e-book vendors (Amazon / Apple / B&N / Lulu, etc). ePUB is modified .html in most cases, and specific fonts / formats that you designated in Ventura will not go through.

Keep in mind, basic e-books are better off text heavy; and I really doubt Ventura can handle modern e-Book publishing with lots of illustrations.

Reading the comments, I am amazed at how many die-hard fans of this program are unwilling to try something new, which works far better. Case in point, I just put together a photo-intensive 350+ page book in a a few weeks in InDesign, where it took me months to slog through a similarly complex 350+ page catalog in Ventura. So Ventura is great if you’re paid on an hourly rate.

The difference is, InDesign can act as a scalpel, while Ventura is best used as a cleaver for gutting fish.

December 28, 2012 at 2:56 pm
(54) Kathleen says:

I have used Ventura since early Xerox versions, and have v10 running on XP. I have not updated to Win 7 because of fear of loosing Ventura. Now is the time to get a new computer (this one is almost eight years old), and am debating moving to Win 7 or Win 8. Is there any chance it will run in Win 8? Are there compatibility options as described above for Win 7?

I know I am “old school”, and love Ventura, but in speaking with others who use InDesign and other dtp software, they can not do the things I easily do in Ventura. I am normally creating technical instruction booklets from 8 to 32 pages, but have other large book projects in the works. Maybe I need to go back to school just to experiment.

Just as a side note – I bought CorelDraw (v. 2?) long ago on the recommendation of the Ventura folks, just to get the fonts! I didn’t use CorelDraw for several versions, other than for hte fonts to use in Ventura, until I attended seminars on CorelDraw and found it was easier to use than I had thought. I continued to attend CorelDraw user group meetings, and always learned something new at each meeting. How I miss those user groups! I use CorelDraw for my illustrations, which have to be saved back in CorelDraw v.8 to import into Ventura v. 10. That little work-around is worth it, but it just grinds my nerves every time because it would take so little for Corel to update Ventura. Maybe we need to form a demonstration at their place. They don’t read any comments on things like this, though, so they probably can’t/won’t read signs.

January 14, 2013 at 4:12 pm
(55) Dave says:

I’ve been working with Ventura since V1.1 (the Xerox program) in 1986. I’ve used other, Mac-based, programs over the years but wouldn’t trade you for what I use it for.
Noah, you may have hit the difference between Ventura and InDesign. InDesign may be better for graphic-heavy designs, but Ventura is far better for long documents. You say you produce a photo-intensive 350-page “in a few weeks”. We regularly produce 1200-page directories, start to finish, in less than a day using V10 on Win7…and never a crash or font problem.
If I were starting out today to produce a graphic-heavy magazine, I would probably go to InDesign; but for long, text-heavy documents I would stick with Ventura.
I have also produced 24- to 48-page newspapers complete with photos, illustrations and full-colour ads with Word-Perfect, Ventura, Corel-Draw and Photo-Paint; when I was doing this regularly, I could complete that in 24-hours (sometimes in one go!). I would still have a hard time making the decision to move to InDesign for that today.
The difficulty facing anyone looking at just starting out with Ventura is the issue of future compatability.

January 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm
(56) Peter says:

Stil using Ventura 8.
Installed ok in the Win7, XP Mode – Virtual PC.
Seems to work OK.
Sad to think it may never work with Windows 8.
Database Publisher was awsome for printing a 2000 entry wine list from Quattro Pro data.
One of these days i’m going to try DosBox and load up Ventrua 3 to see what happens.

Peter

January 23, 2013 at 1:01 pm
(57) Dr. Rainer Ilgner says:

I am glad to have found eventually this interesting exchange of Ventura Publisher experts and I hope that someone could help me and my colleagues.
In the 1980ies we founded the bilingual edition of classical patristic and medieval texts FONTES CHRISTIANI (http://www.mueze.uni-muenchen.de/fontes_christiani/index.html) which actually has reached its 4th series (ca. 35-40 volumes each).
The publication of the first three series was made with Ventura Publisher, in the beginning with an older version of the program, later with Ventura 7. Each volume was edited as PDF and sent to the publishing house for printing.
The problem now is that we cannot open the older files because we have moved our editorial staff from the university of Bochum to the University in Munic. We have a Ventura 4.2 but cannot use it the right way, i.e. we cannot create a PDF. We don’t even know if this was the program version with which the volumes were produced. Ventura 7 and the newer versions have a different approach to the data and we were not able to use it for our older files.
Therefore we would be grateful to receive a reply and support. Please, contact me.
Dr. Rainer Ilgner
ilgner@uni-bonn.de

January 30, 2013 at 5:19 pm
(58) Jan says:

When I used to be a technical writer in the eighties, I started to use VP when it was first acquired from Xerox. I did 1000-page manuals for the telecommunications manufacturing industry with ease. With a 286 and a hot-rodded HP laser printer. I pre-tagged a lot of stuff in WP before going into Ventura. Then, I would turn around and do a single-page brochure with it. Nothing available today is as versatile, easy to use or powerful, not to say user-friendly, as Ventura Publisher.

New stuff needs to be added, but please keep the core, Corel! Make it available forever. I cannot do without it.

February 2, 2013 at 6:28 pm
(59) PattyK says:

I still use and love Ventura. How I wish Corel would do a major update to use all the latest advances in technology. Ventura is intuitive and simple, but powerful. Why Corel dropped the ball on this wonderful product I will never understand.

February 12, 2013 at 11:07 am
(60) Jen says:

I’ve been happily using Ventura (now v10) for many years and now on a rather elderly XP machine. But I’m about to upgrade to a new computer with W8 — I’m worried now I see Peter saying “sad to say it may never work on W8″. Has anyone any experience? Is the answer to keep the old machine running come what may?

February 20, 2013 at 5:32 pm
(61) Farny says:

I have been using Ventura from the time it was a DOS GEM product. I am now using Corel Ventura 10 on Windows 7 64 bit and it is the best yet. I tried it using the compatability mode and it seemed sluggish, but it runs fabulously and very fast in the native Win 7 mode. For those having problems, the secret is finding mfc42.dll on the Ventura DVD disk and copying it to C:\programs\corelventura10\programs before installing Ventura 10. I do have one glitch which I would like to know if others have experienced. In directing text flow between frames, the down arrow which becomes the frame continuation control is missing. Is this my problem or are others having it and if so how did you fix it?

February 28, 2013 at 7:07 am
(62) Gary says:

A lot of our legacy documents are still in Ventura, and we are having to switch them over to Framemaker.

Ventura 10 seems quite buggy still unfortunately. It would be good if they released version 11, and looking at the amount of feedback many people still use it despite the fact the last version came out over 10 years ago !!!

Corel still promote it and sell it at a premium $700, Surely by now they would have saved up enough to write an upgraded version. Perhaps add a Mac version to the list. Perhaps it’s not viable ?

March 2, 2013 at 10:38 pm
(63) Cris H says:

have been using Ventura for a loooong time my first was the Gem Desktop. I tried to get V10 to run on my Windows 7 install.. but it did really work.. My solution was to install Virtual Box and install XPpro into it.. works like a charm.. you can read about how I did did it here in my blog

March 5, 2013 at 2:02 pm
(64) Kurt Müller says:

Glad to see this msg thread. I’ve been using Ventura since 2.x, through Gold 3, 5, 8, and 10. I’m surprised Corel is still selling it since they offer NO support. I recently complained about problems creating pdf’s, and they tried to solve the problem through Draw, which they still support. I now suspect the problem is in Acrobat, not Ventura, as I have a similar problem (of very delayed response) in Draw, though not in word-processing apps.
I’ve been thinking about switching to InDesign or FrameMaker but worry about hyphenation algorithms for other languages. Ventura deals with hyphenation very well. Can the same be said for its rivals? I note discussion about one of these Adobe products not handling endnotes except by workaround. Ventura has occasional problems with footnotes, that are resolved by treating them as endnotes and manually placing textboxes at the foot of pages and letting the notes flow to subsequent boxes.

April 12, 2013 at 5:11 pm
(65) Lydia says:

Yes, I use Corel Ventura everyday for our manuals. They are long documents and Ventura handles them well. I wish they would update it. I took a Quark class thinking I might switch over, but Quark just doesn’t have the capabilities that Ventura has.

April 28, 2013 at 11:33 pm
(66) Mike Kerrigan says:

Is there any work around to use Ventura 10 on windows 7. Written in the disc when I try to load itl it is looking for windows 2000 or earlier, that might be why is is slowly disappearing.
Ventura is the ultimate for DP as it will do things that no other software does.

May 2, 2013 at 7:54 am
(67) Teuvo says:

I used Ventura 3 (GEM and WIN) daily on my work earlier, and still remember very well how to use it. I even have all the publications I made with it saved on disk.

Now when retired I woud like to use and update some of my old works again. I have tried to install the 3 different versions which I have, but have difficulties to install any of them into any modern computer. I have a full set of original Rank Xeros Ventura 3.0 disks as well as Ventura Win 3.0 disks. Unfortunately disk # 6 of my original Corel Ventura (3.0?) seem to have gone lost. Does anyone have that disk to send the files to me?

I have now one old laptop with ME (with no floppy drive, and unfortunatelly Ventura 3.0 disks seem to demand the disk to be exactly in floppy A to run), and another laptop with XP (32b). I do not remember anymore until which Windows versions Windows supported those old programs. Does WinXP do so?

Does anyone know if there is a convertion program from Ventura 3 files into PageMaker or Word? Does the newest Corel Ventura 10 read these old files?

June 4, 2013 at 6:52 am
(68) Dan Henriksen says:

We have used Ventura since 1990. Over the years it has been supplementet with Quark, Pagemaker, Framemaker and Indesign. We still use it, not because we are religious, not because we are oldtimers, but because it – regarding long dokuments – still gives us competitive advantage.

Dan

August 6, 2013 at 7:11 am
(69) aldrenus says:

i just installed Ventura 10 under Win 8 64bit, and it is working just fine, not even in compatibility mode. The point is i have no idea how to compose a newspaper page. If to do in PageMaker or Quark or Indesign, i can do just fine. Even in CorelDraw can do nice and quickly. But not in Ventura. I have to go and do some test for some newspaper. They do layout in Ventura and is a hell for me.

August 13, 2013 at 11:59 am
(70) acastelao says:

I’m a Ventura user from 1.1 GEM version.

IMHO with none of the other “modern” DTP programs can be made the things I do with Ventura Publisher 10 even without scripts.

Ventura has a very simple but powerful markup language similar to HTML but without ending tags (paragraph end is the closing tag).

For example, I’m making page content importing ASCII reports from databases and/or excel dynamic tables. Using the style sheet of the Publication the format work is near to zero. In a week we make 26 multipage (variable, from 4 to 24) complex brochures that we have to update every year.

Changing the styles properties we can adapt the design to the look of every year in a few hours.

Ventura 10 has a utility (Corel Database Publisher) for making this kind of work but using this procedure we have a complete control over the content generation.

So, Ventura excels in other types of pubs, not only in books. And believe me: this cannot be made with InDesign. Perhaps with FrameMaker if Adobe doesn’t had killed it.

September 5, 2013 at 3:48 pm
(71) Mike says:

It’s Sept. 2013 and I’m still using Ventura in Windows7. Not in XP mode either. We figured out how to load it and it’s going strong. Just today, I learned that Windows7 doesn’t support the old Windows Help format, but you can download a thing that will make it work.

I know it’s not going to last much longer, and I’m truly concerned about what I’ll go to when I can no longer use Ventura.

What a great program! I partularly like how it handles TOC, Index, and cross referencing.

September 5, 2013 at 4:32 pm
(72) Mike says:

Someone asked if there’s a way to load Ventura on windows7. YES, and you don’t need to do that XP mode either.

One or two features may have a bump, but it’s nothing major, and it works!!!

How do we communicate?

September 17, 2013 at 6:36 am
(73) Alan Susman says:

I have used Ventura since 1994 and quite frankly there is nothing to touch its versatility, control of a document and ease of use. It is one of those quirks in life where the best gets ignored, most likely because of the ‘issues’ people had with it in the early days but it is clearly head and shoulders above the best and I still use version 7. Who knows where this would have been had the publishing houses bought into Ventura rather than programs like PageMaker or Quark.

September 18, 2013 at 4:38 pm
(74) Natalie says:

I started out using version 8 when I first started my job as a technical writer about 3 years ago, but then later upgraded to version 10. The training books and manuals that I create/edit are anywhere from 100-400 pages and I am CONSTANTLY having to save copies of my .vp files. While I like the capabilities of the software, it is constantly crashing due to corrupt files and who knows what else… a ghost maybe.
I find corrupt pages randomly throughout my documents and have to find a work around to get the single page that seems to be the issue deleted. The “Page Delete” feature does not work.

I see a lot of people mentioning Adobe ID as the main alternative to creating text rich documents… are there any other strong recommendations out there?

While I probably won’t switch to a new product anytime soon due to the time it would take to create these documents from scratch in a new product, it seems very temping on the days that Ventura fights me.

September 19, 2013 at 8:15 am
(75) Andre van Wyk says:

Fourteen years ago I started using Ventura 8 and changed to 10 when a local supplier was running a stock clearance sale.

We work with a database that creates all the txt pages that easily gets imported in Ventura. We still trying to find a program that can handle table like Ventura does. We are starting to have a problem now as Ventura can only handle tables with 999 rows and ours have just crossed that mark.

September 19, 2013 at 1:16 pm
(76) Joe James says:

Desytop pub programs not so different and unique anymore. I started with Ventura back in 1980′s with version 1. Haven’t used any dsestop pub programs for 10 years, and I have forgotten how to use it, but it is still there working on my win7 machine.

September 29, 2013 at 4:32 am
(77) John says:

Ventura is excellent. There is a bug which runs through every version which affects footnotes which appear at times on one page, and at times on another. That is annoying.

I use it for languages which do not use ‘Roman’ letters, e.g. Russian, Chinese and so on. Nowadays those use ‘unicode’ fonts. Ventura does not use those fonts.

XP was not proper unicode. Vista was then invented to give full unicode compliance with the windows programme ‘uniscribe’ working in the background. That meant it works in all fonts. Vista was bad to use, due to the instability it had. That was updated to Windows 7, which is really ‘Vista which works better’.

To develop Ventura to deal with unicode would be very costly. In Design is fully unicode compliant.

Sadly, it is maybe unlikely Ventura will be developed for unicode. To develop at all, that change is essential. Windows had to do that with all its products. A product will go on or not go on in accord with whether or not it deals with unicode.

I am a Bible translator into Mongolian. Ventura was an excellent tool we used for over 20 years.

If only someone would develop it for unicode!!!

October 2, 2013 at 2:33 pm
(78) Chris says:

I use Corel Ventura 8. To upgrade to 10, Corel have pointed out that it is only Windows-tested to XP (which I don’t have and is hard to get hold of). Additionally, I am gradually transferring much of my work to Macs, which Corel does not get on with.

It’s a great mammoth of a program but still very buggy (in version 8) and the lack of updates hardly inspires confidence to go to v.10. But as a desktop publisher (rather than a wordprocessor) it is remarkably powerful. The main reason I still use it is that I learnt it gradually (and it certainly takes some learning) and the time to master another full-blown heavyweight DTP system (such as Quark or InDesign) is simply prohibitive. Fine if you have very simple publishing demands (in which case why have such a big program?) but to learn all the finer points takes an age.

November 20, 2013 at 6:28 pm
(79) Old fart says:

I have been using Ventura since version 2 professional since 1980′s, currently version 10 in Windows 7 64 bit, without any major problems, until yesterday, when my Win 7 machine died. Now I am trying to get it installed in a new Windows 8 laptop. Which doesn’t seem to work. Complains about system requirements, should have Win 2000, which is weird, because Ventura was quite happy also with XP and 7.

Next I’ll try and copy an installation from an XP machine, including the registry entries. Let’s see how it goes…

The problem with Ventura and other page layout apps too, is that the whole print media is in a deep dive, so nobody wants to invest in developing them.

There simply is no decent replacement for Ventura, Indesign is a pitiful, massively overpriced joke compared to VP.

I hope Corel would make a fix to keep ventura still alive; just fix the installation program and add the latest import filters, and we can use Ventura for another 10 years.

November 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(80) Deb Marvin says:

Nice to find this thread. I too used Ventura Publisher for years – version 1 on. Recall having to trick my DOS PC to use both expanded and extended memory in the earlier editions. Was considering buying the latest version and getting back to book layout, etc. Nothing I have ever used comes close to what I could do with that application. I just looked at Corel’s site and it is no longer listed as a product. Does this mean it will soon be relegated to software history? If so this is sad. It was a super application. Microsoft Press had me using it for books when I worked at Editorial Services of New England in Cambridge, MA. I am still a Windows-based designer, artist, and DTP person at heart.
Does anyone know if Venturer can still be purchased?

November 23, 2013 at 1:45 pm
(81) Ida says:

Ventura 10 can be installed on Windows 7 and 8, 64 bit quite easily. There are detailed instructions available on the Ventura newsgroup cnews.corel.com.

This is the key step that is not at all intuitive:
. When installation is complete, copy
\System32\Redist\MS\System\mfc42.dll from the CD to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\Ventura10\Programs\ folder.

Whether you set the compatibiilty as WinXP/Win 2000 or not depends if you are installing on Windows 7 (yes) or Windows 8 (no).

You can also have all the features if you set up a virtual machine with an old XP licence.

We have been using Ventura for 25 years and plan to retire when it can no longer be used. Luckily, it looks like Win 8 is not the end for us.

November 30, 2013 at 4:54 am
(82) Old Fart says:

I solved the installation problem on Win8. I simply had to run Ventura’s 10′s setup32.exe in XP-compatibility mode.

A weird thing about this compatibility mode: In Win7 I did not have to use it, but in Win8 I had!

Also, there does not seem to exist eny Win2000 compatibility mode in Win8, the oldest is XP.

I did not install Ventura in the C:\Program Files (x86)\… directory, I installed it on my D: disk, like I have always done, since Ventura’s GEM days.

So far I have not run into problems, even though I have not copied the mfc42.dll file from Ventura CD. This file is already in the Windows directory.

One point more: Ventura’s help file does not function, untill the old help engine is downloaded and installed from Microsoft support site.

I am so glad I managed to get Ventura working in Win8! It (Ventiura, not Win8!) is one of the finest pieces of software I have ever used, and one of the very few that really takes advantage of Windows’ main productivity features, cutting the unnecessary mouse clicking to a minimum. It is a true Automatic Data Processing program — which cannot be said about many more modern programs!

December 6, 2013 at 4:08 am
(83) Horhe says:

I just found this site now, while checking on how to install Ventura 10 in Windows 7 64-bit.

My installation went smoothly. I simply selected the setup.exe program properties and set compatibility to Windows XP Service Pack 2.

I started using this back in the days of DOS and Xerox-Ventura. I’d crunch out hundreds of pages of book lay-outs, and even interfaced it with a Dbase program that will create a phonebook like directory.

As many of you had pointed out, when it comes to book layouts, nothing compares to Ventura… even when compared to currently more popular DTP applications.

Thanks for having this site where I can be with those who share the same love for Ventura as I do.

More power to you all!

George

December 11, 2013 at 12:31 am
(84) jack says:

Love Ventura 8. Been using Ventura since the 1980s. We publish a bi-monthly magazine and catalogs using Ventura.

December 22, 2013 at 9:09 am
(85) Sandeep Narang says:

This is Sandeep Narang from India and I am looking for a viable solution for my business. I am representing a traditional publishing house (Grantham Press, Kanpur, India) that holds rights to more than 500+ educational titles (guide books, guess papers, etc.). Up until now we had been making use of the legacy software Ventura Publisher 3.0 to publish educational titles both in English and Hindi. This particular software is installed on two machines running DOS platform.

However, with changing time we need to upgrade the software so it can easily run on modern versions of the Windows platform namely Windows 7 and Windows 8 platforms respectively. Our primary challenge is to migrate the 500+ educational titles that are stored on the DOS machines running the Ventura Publisher software into a modern platform.

We are looking for a viable and workable technical solution that would help us overcome this challenge. Please keep Santosh Kumar (santosh2078@gmail.com) in loop as he is leading this migration process. Looking for a viable solution to this challenge from this forum.

January 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm
(86) Old Time User says:

I too have been using Ventura since the Xerox days (1988) and love it. I work for a publishing company that has built it’s entire business around this software. For the past 25 years of working here, it’s all I ever used. I still have 13 more years before I can retire and am VERY concerned that Ventura may become incompatible with all of the new OS’s coming out.

I just started thinking about looking at Framemaker and spoke with an Adobe rep (he was truly clueless about his product!). I’m not sure if FM is a good trade-off. My concern is that we built an entire database export routine to spit out formatted text files that import easily into VP. Looking at FM it appears that their format is XML with tagging on both ends of the string. I truly dislike the thought of having to learn an entirely new program from scratch again! Not to mention that we would have to retool our database exports. This is just looking like a major investment in time, money, and resources that is very scary in this economy!

Many folks seem to be mentioning InDesign as an alternative (though not a good one) and I am wondering if it is good for lengthy text based pubs that can run 1,000 pages or more with multiple chapters? I’m not liking the place I am in right now and can’t believe that Corel bought this product only to let it die. I know print publishing is dying, but there is a huge market for ebooks and complex and lengthy publications will still need to be produced no matter what format they are in. Nothing I know of handles that complexity like Ventura. What a shame!

January 24, 2014 at 7:27 am
(87) Rafael López says:

Ventura 10 is a great tool, but it is very limited. Now I’m trying to type Czech characters, but there is no way to type letters like &#345 (r caron). I guess Ventura does not work with Unicode and that’s the main reason why I cannot write in foreign languages like czech or russian. Does anybody know a way to solve this problem?

February 10, 2014 at 1:05 pm
(88) Andre says:

Hello
I discover this site today!
Am user of Ventura since the begining (Xerox DOS version), then version 4.0 then VP8 with succès.
For the most to publish books sometime big with indexes, TOC etc.
I publish also a monthly publication, it is now number 354 !!
The need to access at the archives (all in ventura) make impossible to move to (for exemple) indesign.

The only question for the moment is how to install the second CD (The Cliparts) ?

Can anyone help me ?

I big your excuses for my poor english, I am frend speaking.

Yours, Andre

April 9, 2014 at 1:00 am
(89) Art Leerskov says:

I began with Xerox version 1.0 and have been a fan ever since. I have so many documents in the DOS/Gem format I kept a dedicated DOS machine on my network until about 8 years ago. (I suppose I could set it up even now.)

Although I don’t do that much layout nowadays, I’ve used Corel Ventura 8 since it came out and became very worried when I couldn’t get it working in Windows 8.1 — even though it had worked well in XP and Vista.

However, I stayed with it and finally noticed I had a <b>Windows 95 compatibility mode</b> and, Bob’s your uncle, it’s running great!

Maybe we can get another 9 years out of it under Windows 8.

April 9, 2014 at 10:59 am
(90) Art Leerskov says:

P.S. I forgot to mention I have only tested Corel Ventura 8 in Windows 95 compatibility mode for the 64-bit version of Windows 8.1.

April 9, 2014 at 10:40 pm
(91) John says:

Why doesn’t Corel list Ventura 10 on its website for purchase?
Where can I purchase Ventura 10?

April 15, 2014 at 2:22 am
(92) Caristia says:

Wow I am amazed people are still using it. This is really good news for me, because I have a document – 100 pages long that it created in the late nineties, and all I have is the electronic copy. I would dearly love to get it printed one more time. .. Can anyone help me pleeeeease .. Anyone In Australia ?

April 16, 2014 at 1:24 pm
(93) Graphic Designer says:

For all the comments that InDesign is finally doing things with CS5 that Ventura has been able to do 20 years ago is so untrue. Anyone who thinks InDesign lacks a lot things that Ventura made oh so easy must be users in their 40s/50s and never fully adapted to the brute force InDesign can output. There’s a reason Ventura hasn’t been supported in YEARS. It’s time to let go of the past and embrace InDesign. It dominates Ventura in a hundred ways.

April 16, 2014 at 1:36 pm
(94) Peter says:

“For instance, one new feature in CS5 is the ability to spread a paragraph over several coloumns. We’ve been doing that for decades in Ventura. Really.”

Carol, I can’t take you seriously with that comment. This was possible in InDesign waaaaaaaaaay before CS5. For you to think it was a new feature in CS5 shows how little you knew in CS4, CS3, and so on.